Cute paper birdcage ornaments
21 May 2014 9:22 AM
Posted by hh's Chelsea Tromans
Make your own birdcage decoration using colourful paper.
This paper birdcage is super easy to make and perfect to decorate your home or party.
What you’ll need
- A bird silhouette cut-out,* about 10cm wide x 4cm high
- 1 sheet of A4 plain coloured paper
- 1 sheet of A4 patterned paper
- 1 split pin
- 1m of string
*hh tip: use card for your bird cut-out as it is heavier and will move more fluidly in the cage.
1) Cut four thin strips along the longest edge of your sheet of plain coloured paper. Punch a hole into the centre of each strip.
2) Pierce a small hole at the top of the bird’s body.
3) Thread a piece of string through the hole in the bird and tie in place.
4) Weave the other end of the string through the holes in the strips of paper.
5) Once the string is threaded through, pop a split pin through the top of the holes and spread the two prongs so the centre of each strip is secured together. Fan out the strips evenly.
6) Cut a thick strip along the longest edge of your patterned piece of paper. Glue the edges together to make a ring.
7) Glue the ends of each of the solid coloured strips evenly around the inside of the patterned paper circle to form the birdcage. Adjust the string length to change the placement of the bird. Leave a long piece of string hanging out the top to hang, then cut.
Make more birdcages using different patterns and colours and hang them from your windowsill, outside on the veranda or from your bedroom ceiling.