How to poach meat for a healthy alternative
15 May 2014 10:23 AM
Posted by hh's Anna Bradley
It may not be the prettiest but poaching meat is the healthiest alternative.
Poaching meat is one of the healthiest ways to cook. Using boiling water, the meat cooks itself from the outside in and as it does so, it absorbs the flavours of whatever you have added to the water. Chicken and fish are the best meats to poach as they will absorb the most flavour and tough cuts of meat are better suited to this cooking method.
1) Take your piece of meat and place it into a deep pan or pot. Pour stock (or water) over the meat until it is completely covered. You can also add some white or red wine for additional flavour.
2) Add chopped vegetables to the pot. Use vegetables that you would usually serve with the dish - the more you use, the more righ the flavour of the meat will be.
3) Finally, add herbs and spices to the pot. These flavours will be absorbed into the meat.
4) Bring the pot to a boil on high heat then reduce to a simmer so that it stops bubbling.
5) Leave until meat is cooked through.
hh tip: If you are unsure if your meat is cooked through, remove from the pot and cut into the centre to check.
6) Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
> Not into poached meat? Perhaps a poached egg is more for you!